based on a recipe for Stuffed Peppers from Better Homes and Gardens
· ¾ lb ground beef
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
· ½ cup water
· 1/3 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
· 1 tablesp. Worcestershire sauce
· ½ tsp dried basil or oregano
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp pepper
· 2-3 Sweet Bell Peppers (green, red and yellow make a very pretty dish)
· ½ cup shredded cheese (or just sprinkle parmesan cheese on each serving)
1. In large skillet, cook beef and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is tender. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water, uncooked rice, W sauce, basil/oregano, salt an pepper.
3. Bring to boiling then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. Meanwhile, slice the bell peppers into strips lengthwise, then cut each strip into halves or thirds. They should be bite-sized but not chopped up.
5. When the rice is tender, add the bell peppers and stir them in. Cook about five minutes more, or until peppers are softened but not mushy.
6. At this point, you can either mix the shredded cheese into the dish, or serve it and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.