HAM BONE SOUP
· 1 ham bone (depending on how much meat is left on it, you may need to add some ham as well)
3 quarts water
· 1 c. sliced carrots
· 1 c. sliced celery
· 1/2 c. chopped onion
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen
whole kernel corn or canned (use fresh corn on cob if possible)
· 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes, undrained
· 1 (16 oz.) can black eyed peas
noodles or ditalini (about 2 handfuls)
· Salt & pepper to taste
1. Boil ham bone in water for a while.
2. Meanwhile, chop the vegetables.
3. When a good broth has been generated, remove bone and take meat off. Add meat to broth. Extra ham may be needed.
4. Add chopped vegetables to broth as well as the tomatoes. Simmer.
5. About 20 minutes before you plan to eat, add the blackeyed peas and noodles. Cook until noodles are soft.
6. Serve with bread and butter.
Place ham bone in large soup kettle. Add water; simmer 30 minutes. Remove bone and remove meat from bone. Chop meat and return to broth. Add carrot, celery and onion; simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining vegetables; simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add macaroni; season with salt and pepper. Heat to serving temperature.